Weekly Status Update 12

HI,

This is my gsoc weekly status update for improving user experience around windows.
As a continuation of last week, I was browsing through the files, looking for ways to save the meta data without requiring to save the document.

In this week, I was able to understand more about storing rdf, storing document properties and how media descriptors work with
streams and storage although not a complete understanding.

In the first two days, I read the implementation of document properties service (SfxDocumentMetaData.cxx) and about XML document and node
in the unoxml folder. The main takeaway were that I couldn't find how they work in tandem with storing the document and
a few examples to work with streams for the rdf for import/export graph.

In the next two days, reading was a bit over the place. I read around the places where they might be related to storing the document which includes SID_SAVEDOC,
SfxMedium, MediaDescriptors and some of objstor.cxx. I was able to understand what it meant by the document contents being referred to as input/output streams from
yesterday's example.

My new problem was to find out that storage within the document (SfxMedium) used by both DocumentMetaDataAccess(RDF) and DocumentProperties(SfxDocumentMetaData)
are separate from the saving (serialization as writer, presentation) or not. If it can be stored separately without the need for serializing, I will be able
to add some meta data to the document by something like "storage->commit" just like using the configuration storage without needing to save the document.

In the Introduction section of Integrating Import and Export Filters, it mentions that documents are serialized from the model
and are stored on disk (exporting). As, SfxMedium have storage streams and can be constructed from the media descriptor, I am currently assuming that the storage is
part of individual document's data and not for common use like configuration schema data.  As I haven't understood the filters, I don't know yet if this gets serialized along with other document data or stored separately when committed. Another example would be from the SfxDocumentMetaData.cxx, a comment mentions that
some document properties are stored directly to the storage and user defined properties are to be serialized.

Yesterday and today, I started implementing about trying to store directly to the storage, but they end up permanently damaging the file for some reason.
link to examples - https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/170327

I would also like to add that as I am currently confused, I might be wrong.

If all things do not work, I will have to read and understand about filters which is a lot of work.

Best,

Aung