Re: Windows and 256 color displays

On 9.9.2023 3.35, Chris Sherlock wrote:
Do we still support Windows on a 256 color display?

If not, we could remove a huge chunk of dithering code in ImplInitSalGDI() and vastly simplify multiplatform support.

We advertise 256 colors for all operating systems: https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/system-requirements

Whether that is true for non-Windows anymore, I don't know.

Doing some searches, Windows 7 can be fully changed to 256 colors via Screen Resolution - Advanced Settings - Adapter - List All Modes, but Win 10/11 only offer compatibility mode for applications.

Win 7 popularity relative to other Win versions is crashing finally, being 3.5% now, which *is* roughly the same that Win XP was in early 2018 when LibreOffice removed support for it and Vista.

Of course dropping 256 color support doesn't have to be tied to a platform bump.

Ilmari