Building failed with --enable-lto on Debian, but succeeded on Ubuntu/Rocky Linux

Hi,

I was trying to build latest LibreOffice core on Debian Bullseye and failed, while the other one could build successfully on Rocky Linux 8.  So I tried to dig a bit deeper to find out why.

Then I found that if I enable link-time optimization while running autogen.sh, it would fail :

https://pastebin.com/Pt0zfEF2

Start from line 27641, while linking something with libharfbuzz.a, some symbols in libgraphite2.a were missing.  libgraphite2.a was there, but all the makefiles didn't include them.

If I use --disable-lto or simply comment out or remove the --enable-lto when running autogen.sh, it would succeed, but I'm still not sure if it linked libgraphite2 or not.

https://pastebin.com/1FdeMsXr

Then I tried to build it on Ubuntu Jammy.  It succeeded even with --enable-lto.

Well, problem solved since I could build it, but I'm still curious why it would fail only on Debian.

I run all the compiling works in "pure" environment created by docker.  The Dockerfiles for Debian and Ubuntu are simple like this:

<file Dockerfile>

FROM debian:bullseye

### Install system

COPY sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list
RUN mkdir /opt/git

RUN apt update

RUN apt install -y --no-install-recommends vim vim-runtime \
                       bash \
                       docker.io \
                       locales locales-all \
                       libkrb5-dev \
                       curl \
                       ssh \
                       git

RUN locale-gen zh_TW.UTF-8
RUN locale-gen en_US.UTF-8

RUN apt build-dep -y libreoffice

</file Dockerfile>

Any clue or possible reason why I would only fail on Debian with lto enabled?  Or why it would not link with libgraphite.a which was indeed presented under workdir/LinkTarget/StaticLibrary/libgraphite.a?

Thanks,

Franklin

--
Franklin Weng