Re: Update Android min NDK version to 23.x?

On 25/01/2023 14.14, Michael Weghorn wrote:
For the Android build, configure.ac currently checks for a minimum NDK version of 16.x and the Jenkins builds use 20.1.5948944 (s. distro-configs/Jenkins/android_common.conf ).

In the context of adding support for newer NDKs, I would like to update the minimum version to 23.x to avoid the complexity that would be needed to support older versions in parallel.

Updating to NDK 23 would among others allow using lld for linking liblo-native-code.so, which significantly reduces the time for linking in debug builds (~40s -> ~10s for me for an x86 build) and also fixes an error I get for 64-bit-ARM debug builds (for which I had a local workaround so far, s. https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/130947 ).

AFAICT, this should have no impact on runtime requirements/supported devices, since NDK 23 still supports API 16 (Android 4.1).

Suggested changes in Gerrit:
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/146118
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/146119

(Changes further up the relation chain are for supporting NDK 24 and 25 as well.)

In addition to the above changes, installing the corresponding NDK for all Android builders is needed, don't know about additional custom config for android builders beyond above-mentioned distro-configs/Jenkins/android_common.conf )

As discussed in the ESC call on 2023-01-26 [1], Jenkins builders have been switched to NDK 25 now (thanks, Cloph!) and I have merged the pending Gerrit changes and updated the documentation on Android baseline in README.md.

[1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2023-January/089878.html