Re: table and section in East Asian vertical writing mode

Hi,

Miklos Vajna <vmiklos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 於 2022年11月16日 週三 下午4:05寫道:
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 01:04:12AM +0100, Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How are tables in text documents usually organized in East Asian vertical
> writing mode? I mean: Where are column headers? Where are row headers? What

It's not so common to see a table in a vertically formatted text. I've tried to find the definition first from "Requirements for Chinese Text Layouts."
Unfortunately there is nothing about it there. I've found a physical book and a document to see how the tables are used. Both have headers on the right side of the page. I think that Writer performs correctly. Tables are rotated 90 degrees clockwise. ( i.e. the second row is at the left of the first row, the second column is below the first column. )

Contrarily, MS Word is awkward. If you set the text flow to vertical, insert a table,  change the design of the table so that it paints the background of the header, the top most part ( can't be sure if it's a row or a column ) is painted. But this test is rough. It will be better to find more examples.

> it the order of columns? If I insert a table in Writer the result is
> different than inserting a table in Word.

> How should a section work if the section has more than one column? That
> seems to be buggy in LO.

I've found an old Chinese dictionary with three columns.
The second column is below the first one. Writer seems to act correctly to me.

> Has a book in East Asian vertical writing mode the binding edge left or
> right?

CC Mark, perhaps he knows these.

Regards,

Miklos