Re: Implement OOXML vert attribute as WritingMode property

Hi Regina,

On Mon, Sep 05, 2022 at 04:21:06PM +0200, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Currently the OOXML vert attribute is internally represented in the
> "TextPreRotateAngle" in "CustomShapeGeometry".
>
> I first thought, that I could make WritingMode parallel to
> TextPreRotateAngle. But that breaks in several places. So my next try would
> be to use only WritingMode for the vert attribute. TextPreRotateAngle would
> be still used for "upr" and "grav" attribute value of diagram (SmartArt).

Don't feel too bad about this, trying this way looked sensible at first.
After all, when you choose "rotate to the right" or "rotate to the left"
on e.g. Word's UI for table cells, it also talks about rotation, but the
markup uses writing mode.

> But that will be a larger change, so I ask before I continue work, whether
> you will agree to that attempt.
>
> In case you say, "Do not touch that area", do you have another idea how to
> bring OOXML vert attribute to ODF?

In general, it makes sense to me to improve the "vertical" support in
editeng / shape text. My understanding is that Writer table cells / text
frames support more than just a bool of "is it vertical?", and editeng
still has a single bool for this (which means the above "rotate to the
right" case). I would welcome improvements in this area.

Regards,

Miklos