Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] Re: ESC meeting minutes: 2022-05-26

Hi there,

On 07/06/2022 10:25, Michael Weghorn wrote:
Thanks, Christophe, that's really helpful.

	Completely agree with Christophe =)

For Windows, we currently support IAccessible2, but not UIA.
That's fine for NVDA, but I have heard/read at times that other screen readers/AT rely more on UIA. (But I haven't done any further research so far.)

IIRC IBM encouraged Freedom Scientific to implement some support for IAcc2 for use with Lotus Symphony in the past - whether that is still extant I don't know. And of course NVDA is the future =)

Does anybody know more about this and whether it would actually be necessary to implement native UIA support in LO for those AT to properly interact with LO?

My take is no. There should be an MSAA <-> UIA bridge built into windows - after all, there are a -lot- of deep legacy things in the windows world, and so that should work reasonably well.

Ultimately - I would suggest that providing good, IAcc2 access (which is a sub-classing of the MSAA interfaces) and then we'll provide UIA support at some level for anyone using that, and if people want to go deeper IAcc2 would be fine.

I forget whether implementing UIA requires wrestling with managed code and/or the CLR - perhaps it used to.

	HTH,

		Michael.

--
michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <><, GM Collabora Productivity