Re: Frequent recent killing of runaway CppunitTest_sw_layoutwriter on Jenkins (was: ESC meeting minutes: 2022-04-14)

On 26/04/2022 21:14, Caolán McNamara wrote:
On Tue, 2022-04-26 at 17:46 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
and I have some findings in the comment at
<
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/130493/7#message-e08f298e02448
997aec8c89adf128cfe5e0efae5>
"add a layout test to exercise UXTSOREL".

lets see if https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/133460 works to
resolve this

To conclude: My hypothesis is that the test would always have run to completion, but just depending on which font happened to get substituted for the requested Palatino Linotype on a given machine, that could have taken obscenely long, esp. in --enable-dbgutil builds.

That would explain why some "Gerrit Linux clang/dbgutil" and "UBSAN Linux Build" builds succeeded and others failed, even on the same machine (as some happened to start the given test early enough so that its long but finite run time overlapped with enough other build output so as not to let the timeout killer kick in), and why this seemingly never was an issue with non-debug "Gerrit Linux gcc/release" builds (where the given test would always have succeeded quickly enough).

The take-away probably is that we should make sure to only use fonts in our `make check` tests that are covered by --with-fonts.