[no subject]

R=C3=A9gis Perdreau

Le mer. 23 mars 2022 =C3=A0 08:43, A <amit.general.misc@xxxxxxxxx> a =C3=A9=
crit :

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 at 13:06, Mike Kaganski <mikekaganski@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> On 23.03.2022 10:31, A wrote:
>> > Why is LO focussing on both MS formats and ODF?
>> >
>> > By focusing on both formats, it is not producing very good software in
>> > either of these.
>> >
>> > It should focus on only one format so that it can do a much better job=
.

>> > I am saying all this because LO is run by volunteers and it is not
>> > getting much resources and money from outside.
>> >
>> > So, whatever limited resources it has, it should use that optimally to
>> > produce one "very good" product.
>>
>> This implies that the volunteers (and contributors in general) all
>> should be *guided* in what they focus on. So the project should be
>> totally controlled from some central place, and everyone must either
>> work on what is "permitted", or not work at all.
>>
>> This is not how the project works. If (say) *I* need MS compatibility
>> improved (just imagining; I actually care about both), I will work on
>> that, and my work will be included in the software for the benefit of
>> others, regardless if others think that ODF is their priority. My work
>> doesn't prevent others to improve ODF support. But if others tell me "do
>> not work on OOXML compatibility, but focus on ODF", my manpower will not
>> be re-directed - I will just leave.
>>

> What LO people fail to realize is that LO is not very popular and it will
> not be and their efforts are going to waste.
>
> No big organizations/governments are using LO.
>
> I used to use LO and I sent a document which I wrote using LO but the
> recipient said that he could not open it.
>
> Then I bought MS Office and sent the document (which I wrote in MS Office=
)
> and he was able to open it.
>
> So, I ended up buying MS Office.
>
> In my opinion, LO is a wasted effort if it does not focus on only one
> thing.
>
> Some people will leave if LO focuses on only one thing but then other
> people will join.
>
> I will contribute to LO if LO focuses only on MS Office formats because I
> want people to save money.
>
> Amit

--00000000000073ec6e05dade109e

e to lose money, that&#39;s what our governments do every day, top manageme=
ropean states use it, french ministries, numerous big cities...although the=
"ltr" class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><br><br>=
=3D"gmail_attr">Le=C2=A0mer. 23 mars 2022 =C3=A0=C2=A008:43, A &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:amit.general.misc@xxxxxxxxx";>amit.general.misc@xxxxxxxxx</a>&gt;=
 a =C3=A9crit=C2=A0:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"ma=
rgin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:=
aganski &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mikekaganski@xxxxxxxxxxx"; target=3D"_blank">m=
quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,=
204);padding-left:1ex">On 23.03.2022 10:31, A wrote:<br>
&gt; Why is LO focussing on both MS formats and ODF?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; By focusing on both formats, it is not producing very good software in=
&gt; either of these.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; It should focus on only one format so that it can do a much better job=
.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I am saying all this because LO is run by volunteers and it is not <br=

&gt; getting much resources and money from outside.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; So, whatever limited resources it has, it should use that optimally to=
&gt; produce one &quot;very good&quot; product.<br>
This implies that the volunteers (and contributors in general) all <br>
should be *guided* in what they focus on. So the project should be <br>
totally controlled from some central place, and everyone must either <br>
work on what is &quot;permitted&quot;, or not work at all.<br>
This is not how the project works. If (say) *I* need MS compatibility <br>
improved (just imagining; I actually care about both), I will work on <br>
that, and my work will be included in the software for the benefit of <br>
others, regardless if others think that ODF is their priority. My work <br>
doesn&#39;t prevent others to improve ODF support. But if others tell me &q=
uot;do <br>
not work on OOXML compatibility, but focus on ODF&quot;, my manpower will n=
ot <br>
iv>I used to use LO and I sent a document which I wrote using LO but the re=
ght MS Office and sent the document (which I wrote in MS Office) and he was=
 if LO focuses on only one thing but then other people will join.</div><div=

--00000000000073ec6e05dade109e--