Re: UI test logger has wrong expectations on vertical tabs

On 1.12.2021 20.45, Ilmari Lauhakangas wrote:
I was going to write a small Python UI test concerning Writer hyperlink tab focus and decided to try our test logger. It turns out the log-to-test converter expects some UI element ID values to be numeric while they are not. I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

I followed https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/UITests#Tools_for_writing_a_test

Installed python-textx package.

PYTHONPATH=/home/user/libreoffice/instdir/program URE_BOOTSTRAP=file:////home/user/libreoffice/instdir/program/fundamentalrc LO_COLLECT_UIINFO="test.log" SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen instdir/program/soffice

Opened Writer and Ctrl-K to insert hyperlink, canceled and quit.

cd uitest/ui_logger_dsl

python dsl_core.py /home/user/libreoffice/instdir/uitest/test.log /home/user/libreoffice/sw/qa/uitest/hyperlink.py

The log file has a line:
Choose Tab number internet in 'tabcontrol' from

and dsl_core.py fails on the line with:
textx.exceptions.TextXSyntaxError: None:6:19: error: Expected INT at position /home/user/libreoffice/instdir/uitest/test.log:(6, 19) => 'ab number *internet i'.

In uitest/ui_logger_dsl/UI_Object_commands.tx we have:
TabControlUIObject:
   'Choose Tab number' tab_page_number=INT 'in' tab_id=STRING ('from' parent_id=ID)?

It doesn't matter, if I change tab_page_number=STRING, it errors saying it expected STRING as if internet was not a string?!?

In a gdb session I checked the contents of the parameters

break /home/user/libreoffice/vcl/source/uitest/logger.cxx:599

Thread 1 "soffice.bin" hit Breakpoint 1, UITestLogger::logEvent (this=0x555556cc9510, rDescription=...) at /home/user/libreoffice/vcl/source/uitest/logger.cxx:600 600             aLogLine = "Choose Tab number " + GetValueInMapWithIndex(rDescription.aParameters, 0)
(gdb) p rDescription
$1 = (const EventDescription &) @0x7fffffffb1f0: {aKeyWord = "VerticalTab", aAction = "SELECT", aID = "tabcontrol", aParent = "",
   aParameters = std::__debug::map with 1 element = {["POS"] = "internet"}}

Relevant commits:
https://git.libreoffice.org/core/commit/644a775833857955576b5284bf2f1b992d8f5b21 https://git.libreoffice.org/core/commit/f558d810de845ad1dd52632ca0a2cae4733ed6e6

I know this tool is underused, but it would be nice to make sure it works and maybe we will start using it more :)

Now I got some help from the maintainer of textX and could solve the tab number issue: https://github.com/textX/textX/discussions/370

However, there is an issue arising from the fact that the parent of tabcontrol turns up blank. The logger should insert the parent at the end of the logged event:

Choose Tab number internet in 'tabcontrol' from

I tracked it down as follows:

vcl/source/uitest/logger.cxx has UITestLogger::logEvent which takes an EventDescription&

vcl/source/control/ivctrl.cxx has collectUIInformation with the parent as the last parameter. It is run in VerticalTabControl::SetCurPageId

I set a breakpoint there and indeed 'p GetPageParent()->get_id()' returns an empty string.

GetPageParent() is in vcl/inc/verticaltabctrl.hxx and gets a VclVBox object.

VclVBox is found in include/vcl/layout.hxx

Do VCL experts have ideas on this?

Ilmari