Re: Preventing Cygwin from picking up MinGW as host system

Am 29.01.22 um 15:22 schrieb Ilmari Lauhakangas:
So this beautiful annoyance came up during an email-driven troubleshooting session:

checking build system type... x86_64-pc-cygwin
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-mingw32

[strip libassuan failure]

Would be tempting to just uninstall MinGW, but the newcomer needs it for other stuff. How can we teach Cygwin to ignore MinGW?

We can't and shouldn't. You simply must provide the correct --host=x86_64-pc-cygwin flag in this case.

But currently there is the other problem, that LO just forwards the build and host configure flags in case of cross-compiling. I'm not sure why this is implemented like this and it shouldn't be any problem to always forward this information to the external's configure… except for the Windows 32bit "cross-build" on Win64, where we're omitting the cross-toolset build, as it's not needed. Windows is already the slowest build, because it's currently not cached; PCH helps a bit.

So now there is https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/129153

It works here on Linux and maybe CI will work with it too. Then Cygwin + MingW setup should work with --host=x86_64-pc-cygwin.

HTH

Jan-Marek

P.S. and we should fail LO's configure, if the host is detected or given as *-mingw*, but that can be done in a separate patch.

P.P.S. this patch should be fine in any way, even by fixing the wrong host value by adapting Windows %PATH%.