Re: About removing Beanshell/Javascript (Rhino) ?

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 9:57 AM Tomaž Vajngerl <quikee@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Probably it is better to invest into integrating a WebAssembly runtime like Wasmer. Not only would we get JS but also support for a bunch of other languages and have support for a platform independent binary execution format.

Just a quick update regarding this, following the IRC conversation:
I noticed that wasm doesn't actually support compiling to JS, so we can't actually use Wasmer or other runtimes to use as an alternative. There are a bunch of JS or TypeScript subset languages that are supported or alternatively use QuickJS or _javascript_Core compiled into wasm and use that to interpret (which could serve as a temporary solution). I still think it would be an interesting idea to support wasm as it would solve some issues for us like having a platform independent binary execution format for extensions and support for Rust, Go, Swift, C#,.. We could probably even standardize on it in the future, but it won't help to solve this problem.

Regards, Tomaž