Getting started

Developers,

I'm new here and, following the guidelines, would like to start with an "Easy Hack," preferably in Javascript, Python, or SQL, but I could probably remember Java if necessary. Alas, I'm having trouble finding an appropriate "Easy Hack." I don't mind if it's not so easy, as I am a fairly experienced developer, but I'd rather not spend a huge amount of time on something of little interest. Any suggestions?

Some details on what I saw and what I actually want to do...

I took a look at the SQL and Python easy lists. One of the SQL ones in particular struck me as strange. 32506 Find/Replace was originally reported ten years ago. It doesn't appear to be easy, and if nobody has addressed it in a decade, one wonders if it is still worth doing.

There are apparently some bugs in Writer with vertically merged table cells. The most easily repeatable is that pressing <down-arrow> on the first line does not move the insertion point. One needs to go to the end of the line and press <right-arrow>. There are also display issues; I have seen differing behaviors such as not scrolling to follow the insertion point as I type (what I'm seeing now) and also (which I can't currently reproduce) showing only the second line when there is room for both. It seems hard to believe that this has not been reported; should I do that? Is this an appropriate thing for me to fix?

Once I get my feet wet, I'd also like to make some improvements to conditional formatting in Calc to provide at least comparable functionality to what Excel has.

Finally, while I have a lot of experience designing and writing code, this is my first foray into open source (other than posting my own stuff on Github). While I appreciate that there are extensive instructions online, if someone wants to volunteer to help guide me through getting started, that would be awesome.

--Alan