Re: About preparing migration towards gtk4

On 19/12/2020 16.22, Jan-Marek Glogowski wrote:
Just a reminder. The migration guide starts with "... you should first get your application to build and work with the latest minor release in the 3.24 series.", and we just updated the baseline from 3.18 to 3.20.

So I don't see much of a point for this cleanup in the current gtk3 subdir. If you want to spend time on it, create a gtk4 dir with the gtk3 content and start a port with a cleanup and gtk3 3.24. I guess a lot of compatibility stuff is still missing from the older gtk3 versions.

That would also be my suggestion for a qt6 port ;-)

I haven't looked at Qt 6 in more detail so far, but from what I recall, it was claimed that migrating from Qt 5 should be rather straightforward, so it might be worth *checking* whether sharing code between qt5 and qt6 (with some ifdefs, similar to how it used to be for the gtk2/gtk3 case) makes sense, to avoid code duplication.

(The Gtk 3 -> Gtk 4 case may be different, though, since there are many fundamental changes in how Gtk works.)