Re: Math/Formula visual editing

(Not really involved in any form of math writing, but this detail caught my eye:

On Sun, 6 Dec 2020 at 21:57, Peter Gervai <grinapo+lodev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The main reason for the speed is its universal hotkey (backslash)
which pops up a selection box anywhere.

Note that in many not uncommon non-English keyboard layouts, the backslash is not that trivial to type. For instance, for the keyboard layout I personally use all the time, the Finnish layout on macOS (basically identical to the Swedish one), typing a backslash requires three keys being held: Right Alt (or "option"), Shift, and 7.

Sure, as I am a programmer that needs backslashes very often, and use this same keyboard layout all the time, I know that by heart and it isn't especially hard for me. But for more typical users of this keyboard layout it might be a very uncommon character to input.

In the Finnish Windows keyboard layout, backslash requires just two keys: AltGr and +, but stil.

Thus, in my humble opinion, shortcuts intended to be used a lot and intended to be easy to learn should not involve characters that actually vary wildly in their ease of use depending on keyboard layout.

--tml