Re: pointer check in unit tests

On 04/11/2020 12:06, Mike Kaganski wrote:
On 04.11.2020 13:51, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
That a reference is something completely different than a pointer shows e.g. in the rule that if a class has an implicit copy constructor and a non-static data member of reference type, then the copy constructor is defined as deleted (while there is no such rule if the data member is of pointer type).

I always had an impression that this is an obvious consequence of the special initialization semantics of the references?

Sure, and maybe we are moving in circles. My point in this thread has been that switching from T* to T& to rule out nullptr may be ill advice.