Re: what jdk for build?

On 13/12/2019 19:48, Terrence Enger wrote:
I have accumulated a confusing number of jdk's, to the extent that I
am reduced to trying things at random.  I think that it would be good
to straighten these out before I ask about my failure building
LibreOffice Viewer.

My build for Linux has been working with
     --with-jdk-home=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java
which points to
     java-1.11.0-openjdk-amd64
which I believe simply comes with debian buster.

An early attempt to build Viewer for Android required a 32-bit jdk, so
I installed debian package
     openjdk-11-jdk:i386

Places on my system with bin/java which configure has accepted without
explicit error message as values for --with-jdk-home are
     /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64
     /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-i386
     /usr/local/android-studio/jre

Advice welcome.

You appear to wonder whether you should be able to point --with-jdk-home to a 32-bit Java installation for a 64-bit LO build (on Linux). No. At least some tests run during the LO build would want to load libjvm.so from the specified --with-jdk-home (propagated via JAVA_HOME environment variable and UNO_JAVA_JFW_ENV_JREHOME bootstrap variable) into a 64-bit process, and fail.

I guess configure.ac doesn't check that a Java installation specified via --with-jdk-home matches the bitness of the LO build. If that's the case, feel free to improve that if you see a need for it.