Support for the Apache Parquet file format

Hello! Is there any work being done to support the Apache Parquet file format?

The two data processing tools that I use locally with parquet are:

  • python pandas [1] [2] for programmatic access
  • visidata [3] (CLI that uses pandas under the hood) for more "interactive" access

I'm wondering why Parquet is not yet a supported format in LibreOffice Calc (and most desktop worksheet processing tools for that matter).

On an unrelated note, I was also surprised to find out that Tableau only supports Parquet through a database server like Apache Drill [4][5].

I feel that parquet files are under-rated, and that perhaps pushing for native desktop application support would encourage its usage over the standard (and less efficient) CSV file format. I may be completely wrong and would welcome feedback.

--
Shadi Akiki
Founder & CEO, AutofitCloud