Re: Calc and auto-corrupt (again)

On 28/09/2019 15:47, Terrence Enger wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-09-16 at 14:58 +0100, Wols Lists wrote:
>> I guess this is something to do with the input
> engine, but I had some
>> fun with formulae yesterday,
>
> Is there a reason why you are reporting this here instead of in
> bugzilla <https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/>?  Do you need help
> filing a bug report?

It's more down to me getting really frustrated with Calc's input engine
whatever it's called. Bearing in mind Excel has always had the
reputation of being the best program in the MS Office suite, the
problems I'm hitting would, were I a manager, make me dump Calc and go
(back?) to Excel. I'll go file a bug ...

I know re-writing the input engine is likely to be a big job, but I
think the UI team should ramp the importance up somewhat ... jokingly
calling the feature "auto-corrupt" is getting rather too accurate ...

>> On a different note in the same place, the formula tooltip was a pain in
>> the neck - it placed itself half over the input box which is all very
>> well if you're entering a new formula, but if you're trying to correct
>> an existing formula, it's obscuring what you're trying to correct!
>
> Is this something other than one of the nuisances implicit in using a
> GUI?  Does the tooltip persist after you move the mouse cursor away?

But I *want* the tooltip to persist. Just not where it obscures what I'm
typing ...

> This may be grounds for another bug report.

Okay :-)

Cheers,
Wol