highlighting current line

The current line (where the editing cursor is) should be (optionally) highlighted across the window, beyond the end-of-paragraph (All plain-text editors have this very simple and convenient feature. Why not Writer?)
The editing cursor is difficult to see it in a screenful of text. (Maybe, I was distracted by a telephone call and forgot where I was typing.) It would be easier to find in a single line.
Idem for a search: the string found is highlighted but difficult to see if it is short — eg, I am looking for an apostrophe, a '@' or some Greek character.

Torrens A.