Re: Java min version for master sources?

On 21/05/2019 10:53, julien2412 wrote:
Meanwhile, I took a look about prerequisites.
For MacOs, it seems Java min version is 1.8 (see
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnMac)
On Window, it's 1.7 min (see
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnWindows)

The baseline is actually Java 6. We use `javac --target 1.6` (see JAVA_TARGET_VER in configure.ac) to generate code that is compatible with the Java 6 JVM spec, and our source code must only use Java API features that are present in Java 6 (though `javac --source 1.6 --target 1.6` apparently doesn't check that).

To simplify all this, can we move to Java 1.8 min for every OS for master
sources? (future 6.3) Or is it too late and we should wait for 6.3 branching
and so it'd be for future 6.4?

Increasing the baseline should mainly be a compatible change, as old code (e.g., extensions) should continue to work with newer Java installations. The only drawback is that code compiled against the newer baseline (e.g., the URE jars from our builds being distributed somewhere on the Maven infrastructure?) cannot be used with older Java installations.

But with LO 6.3 branch-off just around the corner, I'd make any discussion of increasing the baseline only target LO 6.4.