Re: Possible extensions to OUString class

On 30/01/2019 22:17, Matteo Casalin wrote:
    I'm working on improving code that calls getToken (e.g. using its version with index, or using other OUString functions in its place when possible). One thing that I noticed is that there are a lot of calls in the form getToken().toInt# which require memory management just to obtain a value that could be generated by the original OUString. Similarly (but less frequently), some tokens are extracted just to compare them against a string, which again requires memory management that is really not needed.

I was wondering if extending O(U)String with functions like:

* getTokenAs[U]Int#(token, sep, index)
* matchToken(token, sep, index, string)

would be accepted/appreciated or not. At the moment I already submitted to gerrit a patch [1] which adds comphelper::string::matchToken but I think that adding such functionality to OUString directly would be nicer. Also, introducing getTokenAsInt in OUString would likely allow to reuse its toInt code.

Sounds a bit too special-purpose to be worth adding, IMO. Would those optimizations really make a measurable difference?

Also, a better approach overall would probably be some string_view-based getToken functionality (converting from an OUString to a string_view is cheap), and then string_view-based toInt etc. functions.