Re: Could not determine MSC version (Visual Studio 2017)

On 24/01/2019 21:04, julien2412 wrote:
Here what I did to avoid language pb:
export LANG=C
make clean
make

Here are the last lines:
[build ULF]
C:/BLP/libo-core/workdir/ScpMergeTarget/scp2/source/writer/registryitem_writer.ulf
[build ULF]
C:/BLP/libo-core/workdir/ScpMergeTarget/scp2/source/winexplorerext/module_winexplorerext.ulf
[build MO ] sdfr
[build MO ] sfxfr
[build ULF]
C:/BLP/libo-core/workdir/CustomTarget/shell/source/win32/shlxthandler/res/shlxthdl.ulf
[build MO ] smfr
[build MO ] svlfr
[build MO ] svtfr
[build MO ] svxfr
[build MO ] swfr
[build MOD] ucbhelper
[build MO ] uuifr
[build MO ] vclfr
[build PRP] CustomTarget/wizards/locproperties/resources_fr.properties
[build PRP] CustomTarget/wizards/locproperties/resources_qtz.properties
[build MO ] wizfr
[build MO ] wptfr
[build MO ] xscfr
[build PAT] libxslt
[build UIC] modules/dbapp
make[2]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
expr: syntax error
expr: syntax error
expr: syntax error
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-cygwin
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-cygwin
checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-cygwin
checking for cl... cl
configure: error: Could not determine MSC version.
make[2]: *** [Makefile:129: ../nspr/out/config.status] Error 1

It seems it's quite at random since the build runned a longer time.

From "make[2]: *** [Makefile:129: ../nspr/out/config.status] Error 1" it looks like this is a failure during configure of external/nss. workdir/UnpackedTarball/nss/nspr/out/config.log might contain a clue as to why it fails for you.

I'll try "make -O" tomorrow.

Always use -O. It doesn't make any difference for failing vs. not failing, it just makes sure that the output from recipes that make runs in parallel don't all write to the same stdout/stderr in parallel. Not using -O leads to garbled output, making it hard to tell which make target exactly failed in what way.

remarks:
- building with Cygwin was taking a lot memory (I got 8GB) and, contrary to
Linux building, I saw a lot of "include file" in console. (perhaps both are
linked)

Those "include file" lines should be from invoking cl with /showincludes (which we use for dependency tracking, similar to GCC -MD). No idea why they (or at least lots of them) show up on stdout/stderr for you, though.

- also when using Ctrl-C on cygwin to stop the process then close cygwin, it
seems it doesn't stop process and so doesn't free memory ; ie I could see
several "make" process on tasks manager.

Yes, that's a well-known issue.