Re: routing & conversion between 2 networks using different packet sizes (1500 & 9000 bytes)

This is a classic MTU mismatch scenario. A la 1500 B Ethernet II frame vs 4000 B Token Ring frame.

I would assume and expect that the routing stack would handle the 9000 B to 1500 B just the same as it would 4000 B to 1500 B.  I think this means that the TCP packet in the 9000 B Jumbo Ethernet frame would be fragmented and sent as multiple 1500 B Ethernet frames. Assuming that the Don’t Fragment bit is not set. If it were set, I’d expect the router to return an ICMP error indicating that fragmentation is needed.

I would be shocked if routing from 9000 B to 1500 B didn’t just work.

N.B. I’m assuming that you’re using standard CIDR routing and not trying to use anything like proxy ARP. Though even that theoretically should work in that the P.A. router will frag / ICMP need frag as necessary to send TCP packets that will fit in the 1500 B frame.

I think ~> expect.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die