Re: Cake: how know 'framing compensation'?

On 9/3/21 7:57 AM, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
I'm thinking about give Cake a try:

I'll have to check that out. Hopefully I'll be able to understand some of it and learn something.

	https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/

The article definitely has my attention talking about the different frame types.

How can i determine my 'framing compensation'? I'm using now an wireless link, terminating the PPPoE link directly on my linux router, via PPPD/PPPOE.

So, i'm surely using PPPoE, but pppoe-vcmux or pppoe-llcsnap? How determine it?

I'd think that it should be easy to figure out with tcpdump / Wireshark.

I think that all of the PPPoE incarnations that I've experienced have been "Over Ethernet" and I'm taking that to be RFC 1483 Bridging. As such, I'd go out on a limb and try pppoe-llcsnap /first/ and then fall back to pppoe-vcmux if the former didn't work.

I say this because vcmux seems to hint at an (ATM) virtual circuit which is a lower level than RFC 1483 Bridging.

At least that's my two cents worth.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die