Re: 'RTNETLINK answers: File exists' error

Mandi! Grant Taylor
  In chel di` si favelave...

> >   RTNETLINK answers: File exists
> That means that the kernel thinks that the route / interface that you are,
> or the script on your behalf is, trying to create already exists.

Ok.

> > Probably i do something wrong in my script, but... how can i 'cleanup'
> > the mess without rebooting?
> In between script invocations, check to make sure that any VLAN interfaces
> you are messing with have been removed and that any Ethernet interfaces are
> down.
> Doing that should remove any routes associated with them and remove the
> interfaces so that you / the script can start anew when creating them.

As usual typically happen not on a testbed system, but in production,
but every time i've tried to deconfigure manually the interface (with
'ifconfig IFNAME down' or 'ip link delete IFNAME' nothing changed, eg
interface get correctly deconfigured, but subsequent 'ifup IFNAME' lead
to 'RTNETLINK answers: File exists'.