Revisiting overhead calculation on UK FTTC connections

Hi All,

We had some discussion on here relating to rate estimation on ATM based connections and later FTTC connections back around 2014 time.

Recently I ran into some performance issues with rp-pppoe running in user mode that did not appear to be related to running out of resources on the host machine.  It seemed to be some kind of timing related issue and the fix effectively seems to be running rp-pppoe in kernel mode.

I am trialling this on just my home connection for the time being to ensure it works as reliably as the usermode variant however I ran into some strangeness relating to the traffic shaping / QoS after enabling the kernel mode operation.  Specifically fq_codel is reporting maxpacket higher than MTU - impossible!

With usermode PPP I run overhead 40 on upload and overhead 26 on download.  This seems to work well for FTTC and ADSL (BT, with linklayer atm for ADSL).  Max packet tends to show 1492 and shaping works as expected.

In kernel mode PPP if I run the above overhead numbers my maxpacket shows as 40 bytes above MTU on upload and 26 bytes above MTU on download (based on some very unscientific testing earlier).  In kernel mode I am finding that omitting stab overhead on upload works best and on download I am finding that -14 works well on download (to work around the kernel adding 14 bytes for ethernet overhead twice).

With the above stuff in mind, I think it is worth me revisiting you folks to find what the current best practice for calculating and implementing these overheads is?  Does running kernel mode pppoe impact this decision at all?

My test connection is BT Business Infinity FTTC/VDSL.  I'm running CentOS 7 with the current Plus kernel.  HFSC+FQ_Codel with stab as described above.  PPPoE with BT Hub 5 modem in bridge mode and VLAN Tagged uplink to the rest of the network.

Alan