Re: reroute icmp traffic from one interface to another

Ηλια Χατζηστυλη wrote:

Hello, I have an openwrt firmware installed in my router and I want
to configure a Home and a Guest interface. So I have two internal
interfaces(home,guest) and the external(eth1). First I have to send
all traffic from the two internal interfaces(wlan0,wlan0-1) to
external(eth1). With my project I have to measure latency so I use
nping. However when I use the command "sudo nping -c 3200
--data-length 1460  x.x.x.x" with network seted to upload bandiwidth
2Mbps and with data length 1460 B (1460*8=11740) we expect minimum
delay 11740/2000000=5.8ms . Nonetheless, the avg ping time is about
0.8-3 ms which means that my iptables commands doesn't work properly
for the ping traffic (icmp type). Do you know how I can route this
traffic with the tcp one? I'm pretty sure that icmp traffic is
enqueued because when the home user is uploading a file nping command
 takes out the proper delay.

Easier to look at iptables counters to see what's hitting rules.

You don't say how you limit to 2mbit. Linux QOS doesn't emulate bitrate
latency so your test is not valid for seeing where packets go.

netem rate option does try to limit according to packet size subject to
timer granularity (see man tc-netem).

FWIW your calculation for rth should probably be more like (1460+8+20+14)*8.