Re: setup network priority then routing to multiple providers

----- Original Message -----
From: "SteamedFish" <steamedfish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "lartc" <lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:43:25 PM
Subject: setup network priority then routing to multiple providers

I have two providers similar to http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

                                                                 ________
                                          +------------+        /
                                          |            |       |
                            +-------------+ Provider 1 +-------
        __                  |             |            |     /
    ___/  \_         +------+-------+     +------------+    |
  _/        \__      |     if1      |                      /
 /             \     |              |                      |
| Local network -----+ Linux router |                      |     Internet
 \_           __/    |              |                      |
   \__     __/       |     if2      |                      \
      \___/          +------+-------+     +------------+    |
                            |             |            |     \
                            +-------------+ Provider 2 +-------
                                          |            |       |
                                          +------------+        \________

The two providers provide different quality of network.

* Provider 1
    * low latency
    * low packet loss rate
    * small bandwidth (100Mbps)
    * sometimes go offline for a couple of minutes
* Provider 2
    * higher latency
    * higher packet loss rate
    * big bandwidth (1000Mbps)
    * never go offline

Our network usage is bigger than 100Mbps during the day and less than 100Mbps during the night.

My goal is the following:

* split the network flows into different priorities. ssh & telnet traffic most high, web traffic priority 2nd high, etc… BT traffic most low.
* put as much higher priority traffic as possible (up to 100Mbps) to provider 1 and the rest of the traffic to provider 2
* If provider 1 get unavailable, switch all the traffic to provider 2. When provider 1 gets back online, switch the traffic back.

I don’t have a clue how to set this up.

Thanks.--

What you need is a load sharing device that can do spill-over load sharing. I don't know any open standard protocols can satisfy your needs. To the best of my knowledge, you can use OSPF to do equal load sharing between two routers, but obviously this is not what you want to do. Many of the enterprise firewalls/routers does have the spill-over wan load balancing feature (dell sonicwall/watchguard) which should be able to do what you want to do.