HTB, IPSec, fw mark

Hello,

I read a few posts that it is possible to mark a packet with iptables, and then shape it as it leaves on an ipsec tunnel. So far I am having limited success with the idea.

I am using libreswan with netkey. I tried marking the packets in mangle/PREROUTING, but I had zero joy with that; I suspect that when the kernel does its netkey magic the mark is lost. I tried marking at a number of other spots in the nfpacket flow, I only got results at mange/POSTROUTING. But it doesn't seem to grab all the packets.

I have 6 remote users on the vpn, I give each of them a mark based on the IP address they get, and I mark all non-vpn packets with a 7th mark. I set up 7 classes to match each mark. I determine by the command `watch -n 1 -d tc -s class show dev eth0` that some packets do go through each class, but it is only a very small percentage of them (after watching it for a while now I suspect it is initial syn packets). The rest all go into the 7th non-vpn class, even though I can log the packets marked to go to one of the vpn users.

So I am wondering if I have missed a piece of the theory, or if what I am trying to accomplish just isn't possible. Perhaps it would be better to setup a class based on src/dst port 500, but I would like to guarantee each vpn user a fair share of the limited bandwidth (which I think pretty much requires a separate class for each user), and I am not sure how that can be accomplished with dynamic remote addresses.

comments or suggestions would be highly appreciated...
--
Computerisms
Bob Miller