Re: fq_codel, htb and quantum parameter...

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Marco Gaiarin <gaio@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mandi! Dave Taht
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> The two treatments of quantum are very different.
>
> Very clear, thanks.

Took me a long while to figure it out!

>> fq_codel is also sensitive to the overall bandwidth on the link. At
>> rates below 2.5mbit, presently, target and interval should be bumped
>> to account for the induced mtu time.
>
> I'm roughly now on a 4M/640K, so seems i can keep default values on
> that.
> But i've also to manage some even lower end lines; what are preferred
> value for rates  below 2.5mbit?

You should account for 1MTU. If your mtu is 1500 bytes, and your
bandwidth 1mbit, that is 13ms. Feel free to put in a little slop,
rounding up to a target 15ms interval 150ms in that case.

At really low rates (like your 640k) sometimes SFQ is still better.
Life is really hard with modern tcps at that rate. Feel free to
fiddle.

We have improved this in later versions of fq_codel (cake), so it
figures it out for you.

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root cake bandwidth 1mbit # should do the right
thing. But cake ain't fully baked yet, and we haven't worked out
the interactions with htb yet, in particular.

> Thanks.
>
> --
> dott. Marco Gaiarin                                     GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
>   Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                    http://www.sv.lnf.it/
>   Polo FVG   -   Via della Bontà, 7 - 33078   -   San Vito al Tagliamento (PN)
>   marco.gaiarin(at)lanostrafamiglia.it   t +39-0434-842711   f +39-0434-842797
>
>                 Dona il 5 PER MILLE a LA NOSTRA FAMIGLIA!
>     http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/25/index.php/component/k2/item/123
>         (cf 00307430132, categoria ONLUS oppure RICERCA SANITARIA)
> --

Dave Täht

thttp://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Upcoming_Talks