NetDev 0.1 Attendee clarification [was: Netdev 0.1 Call for Proposals]

On 14/12/02, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
> Netdev 0.1 Call for Proposals
> -----------------------------
>
> Netdev 0.1 (year 0, conference 1) is a community-driven conference
> geared towards Linux netheads. Linux kernel networking and user
> space utilization of the interfaces to the Linux kernel networking
> subsystem are the focus.

Hello fellow Linux NetHeads, sorry for the noise:

There seems to have been some questions about the intended audience for this
conference.

The 50/50 by-invitation/submission slots are for the *presenters* of the talks
and not for the audience of attendees.  *Anyone* with an interest in Linux
networking is welcome to attend this conference.

We're very sorry for the confusion and welcome you to join us.

Cheers.

> There are 4 phases/formats to Netdev 0.1
>
> 1) Workshops (day 1)
>
> The workshop format is inspired by Netconf and the wireless
> mini-summits, with workshops being centered around existing
> networking subsystems. workshops are intended to be an extension of
> the mailing list in the sense that many times previous
> discussions from the mailing list (or that could otherwise have
> happened there) are taken to the round-table to simplify the
> decision-making process.
>
> The networking subsystem maintainer(s) should at least prepare a
> list of agenda items well before the workshop takes place to allow
> participants to come prepared; this makes the discussions most productive.
> Sometimes brain-storming sessions will also be appropriate where
> being prepared is less important, for example for discussions
> around new user requirements this can be very valuable.
>
> At the workshop meeting itself discussions prevail and notes are
> later sent back to the mailing list; presentations are typically
> - at the discretion of the chairs - only used where needed to
> clarify a problem statement for discussion.
>
> The sitting format is round-table.
>
> 2) BOFs (day 1)
>
> BOFs are sessions with a potential to become a workshop in a future
> Netdev conference. The lifetime of a BOF may be only one or two
> Netdev conference gatherings. We discourage perpetual BOFs.
> BoFs don't need to have an existing networking subsystem or mailing list.
> BOFs also don't need to strive to be upgraded to be a Workshop
> in the future. Their longevity could only be one conference.
> The sitting format could vary and be either lecture or round table format
> depending on the proposal.
>
> 3) Tutorials (day 2)
>
> Tutorials are generally about 2 hours long (or more at the discretion
> of the proposal).
> Tutorials are educational in nature and are presented in a classroom
> format with a specific educational outcome for the attendees.
>
> 4) Paper proposals (days 3 and 4)
>
> These are classical conference paper + presentations.
> Presentations are 30 minutes long with an additional 15 minutes for Q&A
> presented in a lecture format.
> We will require paper submissions for these sessions. The committee
> believes that a paper submission raises the quality of the presentations
> and makes it easier to build on presented ideas in the future.
>
> The Netdev conference this year is structured to be 50% by-invitation
> and 50% submission. We are making sure that we reach out to speakers
> who have interesting relevant topics because we recognize most of
> these folks would typically not be submitting papers to a conference.
> The invitation will be made by the technical committee to the individual
> speakers for workshop, paper and tutorial sessions.

Clarification is that the presenters will be split 50/50 invitation/submission
and that regular attendance is open to anyone and we will welcome anyone to
join the conference audience.

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!