Re: Best qdisc for interfaces of a firewall?

Several notes on this thread:

1) Inefficient firewall rules are a common, and it is often possible
to seriously optimize them. Find a place to post them so others can
take a look.

But a huge problem on devices with offloads is that the first iptables
rule you insert costs quite a lot if it causes offloads to be
disabled.

2) fq_codel is very efficient and rarely shows up as a significant
fraction of cpu - other overheads (like firewall rules and HTB)
dominate. If you are trying to push more than 60Mbit through HTB + any
qdisc on the edgerouter lite we hit problems.

3) We (meaning cerowrt and openwrt and many others) worked very hard
on making 3.10.12 and later the best possible kernel for routers we
could make, and I do hope that the latest 1.6 edgerouter release
proves stabler and faster than the last. But see points 1 and 2.

4) At this point in time I am intensely frustrated with all the
hardware offloading based products. In every case they work just fine
in benchmarks, but often fall appallingly short of their rated specs
when some more real-world configuration is used. And furthermore, the
chipmakers with their "secret sauce" in their firmware are generally
unwilling to open that up so that it could be improved to match the
requirements of the real world.

So in a quest to get high speed (gigE+) packet forwarding with
sufficient intelligence, I've been mostly mucking with rangeley and
parallela hardware of late, and have given up entirely on the latest
generation of hardware-with-offloads-with-closed-source-firmware.

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
<dennisml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The firmware is the current 1.5 release (well current before the very
> recent 1.6 one) so it's not really old.
>
> fq_codel is not in use and all interface use a noqueue qdisc.
>
> We are only using zone based firewalling, NAT and network/port groups so
> basically just iptables+ipset and a couple of vlan interfaces.
>
> In its default configuration both cpus are pegged at 95% soft-irq usage.
> Enabling vlan offloading reduces that quite a bit...but apparently make
> the system reboot itself about once every two days.
>
> On 09.11.2014 07:29, josh Reynolds wrote:
>> There is an issue on older firmware with edgerouterand fq_codel, Dave
>> would be the one to talk about that.. it's a codel/kernel thing though.
>>
>> I know wisps running full line rate and thousands of customers through
>> edgerouter pros with no problems. What are you having issues with?
>>
>> On 11/08/2014 03:57 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I just looked at the interfaces of our EdgeRouter Pro appliance that we
>>> plan to replace (due to it apparently being overloaded at 150Mbit) and
>>> see that they all have a qdisc of "noqueue".
>>>
>>> What is the best qdisc to select for a pure firewall system? I can't
>>> find any decent information about the various qdiscs and which to chose
>>> in specific situations. For example there seems to exist a multiq
>>> scheduler but I cannot find a lot of information about its
>>> characteristics plus I already assigned the irq of each queue of the nic
>>> to individual cores so I wonder if something like multiq is even
>>> necessary.
>>>
>>> I'm also wondering about fairness and if that might be a legitimate
>>> reason to chose somehting like noqueue so one flooding flow cannot hog
>>> the queue and penalize all other flows.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what would be a well performing yet fair choice here?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>    Dennis
>>> --

Dave Täht