Re: Can't get tc to limit network traffic

Basically, you cannot control inbound traffic with tc, except through
policing, which is what the wondershaper rule does. Policing does not
shape traffic, it simply drops the excess, which is why it is so
unreliable.  That is why the throttling works when only you set the
src to 192.168.0.5. The solution is to use an intermediate device,
like ifb, or imq, depending on the distribution you are running.  A
typical example is here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/ifb

I use ifb in our company's software, where we have a number of subnets
and or vlans to deal with, and ifb+hfsc has provided good results. I
am not familiar with cbq, although we did use htb, which is somewhat
similar, until it crashed the kernel under too much load. This problem
was fixed in later kernels (>2.6.36).  However, hfsc is much more
precise.

Mike SCHMIDT
CTO
Intello Technologies Inc.