Traffic shaping on a link with unknown variable bandwidth

Hi,

I would like to specify a guaranteed bandwidth on a specific
high-priority connection and let other background traffic take the
remaining bandwidth, if any. I can identify the high-priority
connection with the source/destination ip/port. My problem is that the
link has a variable and unknown bandwidth (like wifi or 3G).

If I knew the bandwidth of the link, I could just limit the rate of
the background traffic with:
 = (link bandwidth) - (bandwidth required by the connection)
But I don't.

Is there a way to do that without knowing the link bandwidth?

Maybe with a bucket counting the high-priority packets and slowing down
the background traffic if the bucket is not "full enough"? But I don't
know if it is possible to write that.

Best regards,
Alban