Ingress shaping via connection marking, veths and network namespace

Hi,

I'm replying to your discussion about ingress shapping via connection
marking on: http://www.spinics.net/lists/lartc/msg22750.html

Have you managed to do it?

I'm trying to do the same thing: I don't control the Internet routers, I
just have several downloads on my computer and I would like to give a
guaranteed bandwidth to one of the downloads. The incoming packets
themselves are undistinguishable from Netfilter (all downloads are on
port 80 etc.) but the application requiring the guaranteed bandwidth
could potentially be modified to mark the connection
(setsockopt-SO_MARK).

So I have the same problem as you: incoming packets don't have any
marking because the ingress-qdisc runs before Netfilter.

You suggested to use veths and bridging to work around that. But I don't
understand how it could help because the "socket lookup" to find the
mark previously set with setsockopt-SO_MARK only happens in the protocol
layer and bridging incoming packets between the interfaces would not
leave the link layer until the final delivery (when it's too late). I'm
referring to this diagram:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Netfilter-packet-flow.svg

NATing the veth instead of using a bridge would reach the network layer
but still not the protocol layer, so I don't think it would help either.

Is there something I'm missing?

Best regards,
Alban