Re: Ingress qdisc via fwmark

On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 14:29 +0000, Chris Elston wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having a little trouble getting ingress policing working, filtering
> based on an iptables fwmark.

As you allude to, this is not possible with a vanilla kernel (unless
it's changed recently).

> Also, this diagram suggests that queueing to the ingress qdisc happens
> before classification takes place:
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Netfilter-packet-flow.svg

Yes, the ingress qdisc will see the packets before they have hit
netfilter.

> I'm hoping that someone on the list can let me know whether this is
> actually possible with contemporary kernels, and if so, where I'm going
> wrong.

The only options I know of are:

1. Use IMQ (not in the vanilla kernel).

2. If you're forwarding packets, then use an egress qdisc on the output
interface.

3. If you want to DROP packets, then you might be able to do so once the
client sends reply packets, and therefore catch them using egress on
their way back out.

4. Use a U32 filter on ingress. You may find the discussion here useful:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/lartc/msg22354.html

Andy