Re: filter on prio qdisc fails

The 03/07/13, Anand Raj Manickam wrote:
> Hi  ,
> I m attaching a the prio qdisc  and filter to veth device , but the
> packet does not hit the filter , but hits the qdisc and class .

<...>

> Is there something missing in the config which disallows the packet to
> hit the Filter ? I did try this without the sfq class , but directly
> attaching the filter to qdisc.

Here is a side note about queueing disciplines and traffic control in
general: when a packet is ready to be sent on the network, it doesn't
means that it has to reach all queues of the trees before beeing sent.

AFAIK, it's wrong to assume that the whole traffic control system is a
flow of queueing to pass through. The reason is that if the NIC is ready
to send the next packet, tc will try to satisfy the NIC as soon as
possible. As such, it can and will pick the next packet to send from
anywhere of the tree of the queueing disciplines.

I don't know if you have a configuration problem or if you had that in
mind while testing your configuration but I hope this might help to
understand why the filter was not reached in your tests.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Sebrecht