Re: Traffic shapping and vpn tunnel problems

The 27/06/13, John McMonagle wrote:
> Running traffic shapping both in and out.
> Creating ptp connections via openvpn.
> Route the tunnels with ospf.
>
> Having a problem with outgoing traffic shapping.
> txqueuelen on the tunnels is normally 100.
> At that setting have horrible latency at times.
> If I lower txqueuelen it keeps latency under control but end up with excessive
> packet loss.
>
> The more I think about it putting another queue before the traffic shapping
> creates an unsolvable problem.
> I'm tempted to try ipsec and gre tunnels but suspect the same problem will be
> the same.
>
> How about adding traffic shapping into the tunnels?
> I have 5 tunnels how would one get the tunnel shapping work with the shapping
> on the outgong interface?
>
> Any suggestions?

I have enabled htb with sfq on a router providing 8 openvpn tunnels. I
made it using the "up" option in the configuration file of each VPN. It
allows to load a shell script (hook) once the TUN device is created by
openvpn. The script just apply the QoS on the TUN device of the tunnel.

I guess something very similar can be done on the client side if ever
needed.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht