Re: Can't get the ingress policer to work

How are you testing the rate?  If you're using some random protocol
that will cloud the issue.  Try using raw tcp/udp via a test tool.
iperf comes to mind.

On 9 May 2013 09:57, Sebastian Arcus <shop@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to limit the bandwidth on the ingress leg of my Internet
> connection. I'm using the code from lartc.org:
>

> tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle ffff: ingress
>
> tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 \
>     u32 match ip src 0.0.0.0/0 police rate 500kbit \
>     burst 10k drop flowid :1
>

> I've tried rates of 1Mbit, 10Mbit, 100Mbit. I've tried bursts of 1k, 10k,
> 100k, 1000k. Nothing seems to make any difference. The test download starts
> at about 20Mbytes/second - then keeps on slowing down and stalling
> intermittently all the way down to 6kbytes/second. Then it bobs up and down,
> stalling all the time, between 5kbytes/second and 17kbytes/second. There
> seems to be absolutely no relation between the rate I set and the resulting
> download rate.
>
> I'm testing on two VM's. With no traffic shaping on, I get about 36
> megabytes/second clean speed between the two vms. Kernel on both sides is
> 3.8.4. I'm only applying traffic shaping on one of the vm's.
>
> Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I ran out of ideas so far. I've
> reread the tc-htb man page, searched google on the ingress queue - but can't
> see what am I missing.
> --

Ian Macintosh
Technical Director
KCS Total Solutions Ltd

Hemel Hempstead – Tel: (01442) 251-514
Fax: (01442) 200-198
Web: http://www.kcsts.co.uk/

KCS Total Solutions Ltd, registered in England and Wales. Registered
number 3792344. Registered office: 3 Kensworth Gate, 200-204 High
Street South, Dunstable, LU63HS.

NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are strictly
confidential and intended solely for the attention and use of the
named addressee(s). If you are not the addressee(s) you may not
disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message without our prior
written authority. If received in error, please contact KCS Total
Solutions Ltd on (01442) 251-514 quoting the name of the sender.