Additional reading recommendations for traffic shaping?

Hi folks,

I'm very new at tc and have been reading through the docs on lartc.org
of course, and have found some other HOWTOs out there but a lot of the
material I am finding seems to be very dated like this from 2006

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Traffic-Control-HOWTO/index.html

And I don't really see a date on the LARTC doc so I'm not sure how
recent it is.   I'm a bit worried I'm learning things that no longer
apply if you know what I mean.  http://lartc.org/howto/ .   Also that
main manual is not very clear in some places.  Not to me at least.

I've been googling for quite a few hours collecting up some things but
as mentioned most of them are pretty old.

And on a related topic, I found this nifty thing in my googling called
'tcng' which defines a language for tc and provides a compiler to
compile programs down into tc files.   But it looks to me like that
project ended around 2005 or 2006 so is it even possible that this
tool is in any way useful anymore?  Surely there are lots of tc
commands since then which are not captured by the compiler?

Is it even worthwhile to look at the tcng compiler?

I'd appreciate any additional reading material you can point me at
especially stuff that is beginner oriented with examples.

thanks,
-Alan