Re: HTB precision and bursts

On Sat, 2013-02-09 at 08:23 +0200, Ivan Lezhnjov Jr. wrote:
[...]
> The problem.
>
> When egress is saturated fully ingress gets sluggish.
[...]
> As it is a 1Mbit/s egress, I attempt to limit outgoing traffic at
> 75kbps.

If all you want to do is ensure that downloads don't suffer when the
uplink is congested, then you could try prioritising ACK packets within
the uplink, instead of rate limiting the whole link.

I've only ever done this using a high-priority HTB class, but if you
don't want to shape any other type of traffic then a PRIO qdisc might
work for you (filter the ACK packets into the high-priority class and
all other packets into a lower priority one).

> So, is there a way to tune HTB to be uncompromisingly precise with no
> bursts above set value of 75kbps? If yes, how would I do it?

Have you tried playing with the burst/cburst values?

http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/manual/userg.htm#burst

Andy