cls_flow "handle" argument?

Do you know the meaning of the "handle" argument to the cls_flow classifier/filter? If I don't specify a "handle" argument, I get the following error, but I haven't yet found an explanation of what the argument does, or what value it should take:

root@OpenWrt:~# tc filter add dev eth0.2 parent 1: protocol ip prio 1 flow hash keys nfct-src
  RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
  We have an error talking to the kernel
  root@OpenWrt:~#

I consulted:

  * Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control HOWTO
  * How To Accelerate Your Internet [1]
* OpenISP Bandwidth Management [2] (thanks for this updated documentation!)

LARTC HOWTO says only, "This handle means different things to different filters." OpenISP Bandwidth Management uses "handle 10" in examples of the "flow" filter, but I haven't yet found an explanation of what this means or what it does.

I want to share 1.5mbit fairly among hosts (per-host fair queuing), my work in progress script is as follows:

   1: ifconfig ifb0 up
   2:
   3: insmod sch_prio
   4: tc qdisc add dev eth0.2 root handle 1 prio
   5:
   6: insmod sch_ingress
   7: tc qdisc add dev eth0.2 ingress
   8:
   9: insmod cls_u32
  10: insmod act_mirred
11: tc filter add dev eth0.2 parent 1: protocol ip prio 1 u32 match u32 0 0 flowid 1:1 action mirred egress redirect dev ifb0 12: tc filter add dev eth0.2 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 1 u32 match u32 0 0 flowid 1:1 action mirred egress redirect dev ifb0
  13:
  14: insmod cls_flow
15: tc filter add dev eth0.2 parent 1: protocol ip prio 1 flow hash keys nfct-src 16: tc filter add dev eth0.2 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 1 flow hash keys nfct-dst
  17:
  18: insmod sch_tbf
19: tc qdisc add dev ifb0 root handle 1 tbf rate 1mbit burst 5k latency 70ms
  20:
  21: insmod sch_sfq
  22: tc qdisc add dev ifb0 parent 1: sfq

I think I need to add a "handle" argument to lines 15 and 16, do you know what it does, or what value it should take?

  [1] http://bwmo.net/
  [2] http://openisp.westnetz.org/content/qos/