IPv4 route cache DOS attack

Hi,

I have a linux router running kernel 3.2  that receive public ingress
packets and route them through an GRE tunnel, return packets don't go
through it

I've recently faced a serious issue with the route cache,  when the
router received spoofed source , the route cache will quickly get
exhausted (depending on the size of it) and soon the ip dst cache
overflow will be printed and network subsystem will hang until
restarted.

So, my question is, how can I turn off the route cache without
recompile the kernel or adding the  patch for removal  in 3.7?  I
tried to set

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/max_size but that has no effect at all.

And if some one can share some insight on why when dst cache
overflows, the network subsystem hangs, it would be great.

Thanks.