Re: I want the public ip on my linux router: half-bridge vs full-bridge

On Wed, October 10, 2012 10:30, Niccolò Belli wrote:
> Il 05/10/2012 14:30, Edward Murphy ha scritto:
>> To connect using option 1 you configure your modem to dial and then
>> simply run dhclient on your interface connected to the router.
>>
>> In option 2 you need to setup pppoe to Connect.  Even though your
>> supplier only supports pppoa this solution is more pppoeoa and should
>> work.
>
> Hi,
> Can you please give more info about option 2 (ie the actual steps to
> connect in a real scenario)? I confirm my provider only supports PPPoA.

If you're using an external router (I've done this with a Netgear DG834G
and a D-Link DSL-G604T), there are ways of putting the router into a
bridge or modem mode. The router then acts as a PPPoA to PPPoE converter,
allowing your Linux box to talk PPPoE. There's a few niggles around the
MTU because PPPoE eats a few more bytes for its protocol overhead but
mostly the network code sorts this out on its own.

The packets from the internet then pass through the router and terminate
on the Linux box, which has the public IP address on the ppp port. As a
bonus, and the reason I've set my stuff up this way, it also happily
passes IPv6 packets.

With a bit of extra fiddling, you can assign an IP address to the
associated ethernet port and add a static route to it so that you can
still access the management interface on the router (I run a small
application to keep an eye on the DSL modem statistics)

Dave