Re: I want the public ip on my linux router: half-bridge vs full-bridge

On Fri, October 5, 2012 12:02, Niccolò Belli wrote:
> Hi,
> As I said in the object I want the public in my linux router. I always
> used pci modems but I decided to explore some alternatives. I want to
> consider worst case: provider only supports PPPoA.
> I think the only viable alternatives are:
> 1) Half bridge aka DHCP spoofing aka PPPoE to PPPoA bridging
> 2) Full bridge aka PPPoA Relay aka PPTP passthrough of a PPPoA connection
>
> The real question is: how do I configure my linux box to connect using
> 1) and particularly 2)?

This sounds a bit like what I'm playing with at the moment. I have a
DSL-G604T in bridge mode and my Linux router is running pppoe  via an
ethernet connection to talk to it and then on to the outside world. The
external IP address is assigned to the router's ppp0 interface. In theory
it all starts up cleanly on reboot or if the connection dies, but I
haven't tested that yet.

All the authentication with the ISP is done using ppp on the Linux box, I
think I started with the pppoeconf package and then hand-edited the files
once it had generated them (and because I'd screwed up some of the
config).

Dave