first of the two IPs reachable only if second interface is down??

hello everybody

apologies if this may feel off the topic, I was hoping some net experts could shed some lights on some peculiar symptoms I experience
I would very! much appreciate any help

a BOX that has two net interfaces, a public and private one, both configured via dhcp by net admin

public IP is reachable from/via the Internet/public network just fine, but at the same time same public IP is NOT reachable from within PRIV network, the same network the BOX's second interface is on

default gateway for the PRIV subnet is a separate another system, BOX uses PRIV gateway as the default one (but have tried the public gateway too)

arpinging both IPs from PRIV gives me the same one MAC of BOX private net interface

public IP becomes reachable to PRIV subnet immediately after second(private) interface was turned down

we have no control over the whole network stack but know that PUBLIC IP connection goes via unmanaged switches to the gateway

is it the BOX or the network stack somewhere?
unmanaged switches should not cache any ARP, also, how come that it gets corrected (public becomes available to PRIV) only if I turn PRIV interface down??

box is SL 6.1, firewall is off, ip_forward=0
this is the most peculiar problem of this nature I've ever experienced

the goal is simple, have other systems on the same private subnet as the BOX's second interface to be able to talk to the BOX's public IP obviously not routed via BOX's private address, this workaround solves the problem, but routing via PRIV's gataway

many thanks