So a 10Gbit network card and a 3.2.18 kernel walk into a bar...

It's been years since I've dealt with traffic control in Linux.  It's
so awesome there's a mailing list now!  I was hoping to get some
guidance from people who have been doing this lately, it's a lot to
swap back into the brain.  Too bad the human brain doesn't run as well
as Linux, it's more like Windows 95 or something.

The object is to make sure no single connection gets starved under
load, and also to give some services pseudo-reserved (or maybe just
prioritized) bandwidth.  For example, if the total available network
bandwdith is 9Gb, I'd like virtual machines to be able to consume the
entire 9Gb if nothing else is going on.  But as soon as some
filesystem replication needs to happen, I'd like to dedicate a good
4.5Gb or so to the replication (if it needs it), and the ot
her services and VMs can divide up the rest.

Most of these setups have a single 10Gb ethernet interconnect to a
single 10Gb ethernet switch.  Some use 1Gb interconnects, and future
ones will have mul
tiple NICs.

I realize that since the upstream bandwidth is shared and the system
can't control the queue, this has to be on a best-effort basis.  But I
think doing so
mething is much better than doing nothing.

Ideas/recommendations?