Re: [Announce] LARTC wiki available

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012, Andy Furniss wrote:

Julien Vehent wrote:
 On 2012-06-01 12:42, Niccolò Belli wrote:
>  http://lartc.org is alive and kicking and there is no need for
>  another
>  wiki anymore. I'd like to thank both Bert and Carl-Daniel.
> > Niccolò >
 Very cool !
 I'll try to find some time and move over some of the content I have
 here:
 http://wiki.linuxwall.info/doku.php/en:ressources:dossiers:networking:traffic_control

A couple of things that stand out after skimming through.

DSL - Jeesper's overhead as noted in the comments is not 5 and anyway I think his good work has now been superseded by stab as it allows for negative overheads, which his did not.

Thanks for the credits :-)

Its been a while since I looked at that code. I think, the 5 bytes might ref to the ATM header 5 + 48 = 53 bytes the ATM cell size. But 5 is not used as overhead.

The linklayer ATM hack is to adjust the rtable array, that the kernel uses for lookups. The problem is that the rtable array only have an 8 bytes "resolution" (well depend on cell_log), thus to get this aligned, I use the ATM payload size of 48, when populating the rtable array. Then when storing the "data" I the rtable array I use *53 byte ATM cell size.

man tc-stab has clear and good explanations and examples.

Good to see some documentation on stab, I always found it difficult to use.

Cheers,
  Jesper Brouer

MSc. Master of Computer Science
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen
Author of http://www.adsl-optimizer.dk