Need to setup large number of qdisc and filter to shape traffic based on src ip

Hello All,

I want to setup a linux router for load testing which can shape
traffic for a large number of users (2000+) based on the src IP, so
that each user can have a different bandwidth and delay.

What is the best approach to do this and what are the performance
impact of doing it on one machine (the machine is a quad-core, 8GB RAM
and can be beefed up more)

I am thinking of a following setup:

---------------------------                   ---------------------
             --------------------
2 x client machine |                   |                    |
      |                   |
                           |-------------e0--| Linux Router
|---e1--------- | Web Server |
with 1000 ip alias  |                   |                    |

The linux router will have qdisc and filters (for each IP) applied to
both interfaces for outbound traffic.

Please let me know if you any comments or suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

-- Pranav